If you are a yoga beginner you could quite easily be so overwhelmed by the types of yoga on offer that you end up not starting a class.
Yoga is a journey and as such there are many styles of yoga designed to meet the needs of all tastes and interests. If you are looking for a more strenuous work out then you gravitate towards a more physical practice, such as power yoga or alternatively, you may prefer a more spiritual incline practice in which case Sivananda yoga may be more suitable for you.
When deciding what style of yoga to choose from, bear in mind the following factors.
Five Easy Ways to Choose the Right Style of Yoga
1. Talk to friends or if you do not know anyone who practices yoga, then go online and see what information you can find. There are numerous online https://blog.yogaveler.com/ information sites offering you clear practical and extremely useful information about all aspects of yoga. Some online sites offer you membership and the chance to watch online videos showing different yoga styles.
2. If you hear of a yoga class that appeals to you, contact the yoga teacher. Phone her up, or send her an email. When she responds, use the time to see how you feel about the teacher. Ask yourself is she approachable, do you feel she is listening to you? Is the teacher confident and does she know what she is talking about? Don’t be afraid to ask questions and find out about her personal yoga practice, her teaching qualifications and experience. If your teacher has recently qualified, how do you feel about that?
3. Be open. Yoga is a journey. Give yourself space and time to adjust to fitting in a new activity. If your life is busy and you have a packed daily schedule, it may take you a few weeks to remember to schedule in your weekly class. Make sure you choose a class that is convenient and easy for you to get to and is held at a time that is convenient for you.
4. Some yoga schools offer you a free trial. If they do make sure you take advantage of the offer. There is nothing wrong in making the rounds and trying out different free trial classes just to get a feel of the teacher and class. However, somewhere along the line, you will have to make a decision and choose a class. There is of course no reason why you can’t choose two different styles of yoga and commit to them.
5. Why not decide to go straight into the deep end and book a yoga retreat vacation? Some yoga retreats offer a variety of yoga styles. That way you can be sure of road testing the different styles which may help you decide what type of yoga is more suited to your temperament and goals.
Take your time. There is no need to rush into signing up for a yoga class. Yoga has been around for thousands of years so you know when the time is right you will attract and attend the yoga class which is just right for you.