High school counselors spend an average of 23 minutes working with their college-bound students on the college search and planning process. Most high school counselors work with more than 350 students. Few high school counselors are able to visit colleges or attend conferences because their schools do not have the budget for them to do so.
Many parents do not feel they have the ability to serve as a guide to college for their teenager. This is a real concern for families. What’s a student to do? Many are turning to educational consultants who are helping to fill this gap. They have the expertise to assist college-bound students with the college search and application process. They also have the passion and the time.
Here are nine reasons why an educational consultant could benefit your college-bound student:
1. They are experts in the college admission process and visit Free College Consulting and universities extensively every year to determine the unique qualities in each school.
2. They help students with the college search and are not just interested in brand name schools, but want to find colleges that fit your student’s academic and personal needs.
3. They do not have an emotional attachment to your child and this allows them to provide unbiased, professional advice.
4. They get to know students on a personal basis which enables them to help students become stronger college applicants.
5. They help provide direction for students on their applications and essays. This assures students that they are adhering to deadlines set by their high school and colleges.
6. They assist students and families in finding schools that are affordable. They also provide information on financial aid and scholarships.
7. They are not limited in the number of hours they can work with students. This allows them to be available when students need them, with the answers they need.
8. They want to help students find colleges that are committed to seeing their students graduate in four years, rather than the usual five, six or more. This can save parents a considerable amount of money.
9. They are members of professional organizations like the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) and Higher Education Consultants Association (HECA) and attend state and national conferences to continue their professional development.
A college education is one of the most expensive investments a family will make. It should be obvious that more time and thought needs to go into the college search and admission process. Most educational consultants charge affordable fees and are very generous with their time. Many families believe that hiring an educational consultant is the best investment they have made.